I absolutely LOVE finding recipes that have been passed on and enjoyed from generation to generation. This great little holiday appetizer comes from my husband’s grandmother, Grandma Jones. They bring back some fond memories of the most amazing meals back when my husband and I were just dating. We didn’t realize how fortunate we were to have his grandparents just a short drive away during our college days. It was always a special evening when we were invited for dinner. Grandma Jones would pull out all the stops and we would eat like royals. Good times, good memories! Enjoy.
Stick with it! It may take a few minutes to get the right consistency.
Roll tablespoon sized balls and space evenly on baking sheet.
- ½ cup butter
- 1¼ cups flour
- ½ pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all ingredients in mixer bowl. (You definitely need an electric mixer...I use my Kitchenaid)
- Beat until completely incorporated. It may feel like it will never come together, but you need to be patient! It will eventually morph from a powdery dry mixture to a bowl full of shreds then eventually you will achieve a smooth consistency. (see picture above)
- Roll into balls. I usually make them about a tablespoon each.
- Place on a lined baking sheet (it just makes life easier) about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 10-11 minutes. As you can see from the above picture, they shouldn't be left long enough to "brown".
- Serve immediately!