Ahh, pizza rolls…perfect little bite size pockets of everything that is good in the world. Never met anyone who doesn’t love them, especially on game day. The store bought ones though convenient, have never really done it for me. So over the last two weeks, making a better yet simple pizza roll became my personal mission. I want them baked, not fried. Though I love fried food, I hate the smell of fried oil in my house that never seems to go away. Baking definitely made them a little more challenging, but I’ve figured out the best way around it. Some may ooze just a little, but they taste just as good!
Place two slices of pepperoni on the half closest to you allowing a 1/2 inch wrapper border on either side. Place mozzarella stick on top of pepperoni.
Loosely fold the bottom of the wrapper over the cheese, I roll it over once more before wetting the R and L flaps with water.
Gently fold the right and left flaps over the mozzarella stick, pressing on the wrapper to seal.
Now wet the rest of the exposed edges of the wrapper and begin rolling LOOSELY until completely sealed.
This might help as well…straight from the egg roll wrapper.
Ok, these don’t look super “loose” but rolling them loosely is the name of the game here to prevent excessive cheese oozing.
- 20 egg roll wrappers (I like to start with them close to room temperature)
- 40 slices of pepperoni (try to find a good quality so you don't end up with grease everywhere)
- 20 mozzarella sticks, frozen
- a small bowl with water for sealing
- olive oil for coating
- garlic powder
- Italian herb seasoning (any combo of dried oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme or rosemary)
- marinara or pizza sauce of your choice
- Freeze the mozzarella sticks. I throw them in the freezer the day before so they are ready when I am.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Working with one egg roll wrapper at a time, lay it flat in front of you with one corner facing you. Place two slices of pepperoni on the half closest to you allowing a ½ inch wrapper border on either side. Place mozzarella stick on top of pepperoni.
- Check out the picture with the illustrations from the wrapper package on how to fold. Loosely fold the bottom of the wrapper over the cheese, I roll it over once before wetting the R and L flaps with water. Gently fold the right and left flaps over the mozzarella stick, pressing on the wrapper to seal. Now wet the rest of the exposed edges of the wrapper and begin rolling LOOSELY until completely sealed.
- At this point I throw them into the freezer on a parchment lined plate until they are all ready to bake.
- Place finished mozzarella sticks on a parchment lined baking sheet. Lightly brush or spray with olive oil. Finish by sprinkling salt, garlic powder and Italian herb seasoning over each stick.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees F, flipping after 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and move the rack two notches down from the top of the oven. Turn the oven to broil and broil cheese sticks for 1-2 minutes watching closely until golden.
- Place on a serving plate and serve with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.